Pucker Up! 12 Perfect-for-Summer Lipsticks
To celebrate National Lipstick Day on July 29, we've rounded up the top new lip colours, balms and treatments—plus one lipstick that you can get free!
July 27, 2017
1. By optical illusion, Benefit’s They’re Real! Double the Lip is both a liner and lipstick. Its custom teardrop tip defines the outer lip in a darker shade while filling the inner lip with a lighter tone, instantly adding volume and dimension with its satin finish—available in neutral hues and bright shades. $26, beautyboutique.ca
2. Clarins’s Summer 2017 limited edition Natural Lip Perfector in Juicy Mandarin is just the right amount of breezy summer orange that packs four-hour hydration for afternoons on the beach. Thanks to natural peptides, it protects against free radiacals too. $20, thebay.com
3. This season, we’re all about looking good and feeling good, too. Nars introduces its provoking Orgasm lipstick, a cult-classic pink colour with a translucent touch and satin finish with a patented blend of conditioners and antioxidants. Ummmm…yes, yes, yesssss! $35, murale.ca
4. Fresh‘s Sugar Candy tinted lip treatment includes sunscreen (SPF 15) for versatile coverage in sheer or rich hues. Formulated with sugar (a natural humectant to prevent moisture loss), hydrating oils (meadowfoam, black currant seed oils) and antioxidant-rich vitamins (Vitamin C and E), it provides six-hour moisture and protection from UV rays. $29, nordstrom.ca
5. From Toronto comes Bite, a handmade, natural, organic lip line that’s good enough to eat—no surprise since it’s food-grade too (and the lipsticks smell like perfume!). Considering we ingest about 80 percent of what’s on our lips, indulge freely with the agave overnight lip mask for next-day delivery. $30, sephora.ca
6. Justin Trudeau may have snappy socks, but his mother should get style props for her ’70s-era Club 54 stints with Andy Warhol and the Rolling Stones. Marc Jacobs immortalizes her bohemian style with his new lipstick True No. 254, inspired by Margaret Trudeau herself. $38, sephora.ca
7. Chanel‘s 2017 Cruise Collection distills summer down to essential shades, inspired by natural landscapes, in sun-baked earthy tones and glossy coral pinks—all evoking a deep, majestic sunset. Rouge Coco Shine Golden Sand lipstick, $43, holtrenfrew.com
8. There are over 40,000 EOS shimmer-and-tint videos on YouTube—that’s because this drugstore cult-fave Shimmer Lip balm clocks in at less than $8 and is completely natural. Made in New York, these cute little balls soften lips with shea butter, jojoba oil and vitamin E (which provides anti-oxidant protection to soothe and heal), but also serve up hints of colour. $7.99, shoppersdrugmart.ca
9. French beauty brand Caudalie launches its French Kiss collection this month featuring the brand’s signature anti-oxidant rich properties of grape-seed polyphenols. There’s just a hint of colour in three delicate shades with names like Innocence (lightly perfumed with vanilla-infused orange peels for a subtle baby doll pink). $20, available online only at caudalie.ca; from August 11 onwards, available in-store at beautymark.ca
10. Charlotte Tilbury, fave makeup-artist-to-the-stars, launches her new collection of 16 Hot Lips lipsticks (including four best-selling shades). From Kidman’s Kiss to Bosworth’s Beauty, the range delivers Tilbury’s signature long-lasting colour and quality (read: no cakey business). $39, holtrenfrew.com
11. Ilia (courtesy of Vancouver native Sasha Plavsic) is an all-around organic beauty box fave. Packing natural sun protection (SPF 15) and moisturizer (cocoa butter, shea, organic avocado, cranberry), the new Darlin’ is the must-have sheer shade of summer with ripe peach and apricot undertones. $26, kissandmakeupstore.com
Free Lipstick Alert!
12. National Lipstick Day might just be a marketing machine, but MAC gets marketing better than anyone (Back-to-MAC program, anyone?). This Saturday, the brand will give away one free lipstick to each customer willing to brave the line (until supplies last). Shades vary by store, but look for the brand’s best-selling colour: Ruby Woo. $21, in-store only, caccosmetics.ca