Woody Wu Built a Restaurant Around Wine
So we asked the rabid oenophile to give us a list of the wines that started him on the path that led to the opening of his new spot, the Origo Club.
September 13, 2018
Woody Wu is not your normal restauratuer. He’s born and educated in China, but he’s opened a classical French restaurant—the Origo Club—in the heart of Richmond. And while he’s passionate about food, it pales in comparison to his love of wine. He’s used his International Sommelier Guild (ISG) diploma to consult with auction houses like Christie’s and Sotheby’s so when it came to open his own spot he knew that wine would form an integral part of the experience.
We caught up with the oenophile recently to ask him about the bottles that kick-started his voracious passion for wine.
1. 1999 Nicolas Joly Vignobles de la Coulée de Serrant ‘Clos de la Coulée de Serrant’ Savennières I had this wine when I was pursuing my sommelier certification and discovering and learning about biodynamic wines and Nicolas Joly from my instructor and mentor DJ Kearney. I recently finally had the pleasure of visiting Joly and his vineyard and was able to learn so much more about the history of the vineyards and biodynamic farming.
2. 1988 Henri Jayer Cros Parantoux Vosne-Romanée I had this wine when I was at a Christie’s wine auction in Hong Kong. It really opens my tasting dimension of fine wine — especially fine and rare burgundies — and helps me understand why collectors seek out these wines.
3. 1982 Pétrus A petrus from my vintage.
4. 1970 Giacomo Conterno Monfortino Barolo Riserva I had the privilege of tasting this in London with Michelin-starred chef Michael Johnson. It was everything I learned, expected and desired from this legendary winemaker and more.
5. 2010 Pingus I tasted this wine at a masterclass hosted by legendary wine maker Peter Sisseck in Shanghai. The depth and complexity of the wine was incredible. I was blown away by its texture and structure.
The Origo Club is located at No.110 6888 River Rd in Richmond, and is open Tuesday to Saturday 11am – 11pm.