Beer | SPONSORED
Steel Toad Brewing’s Five Can’t-miss Experiences
Because the preservation of local history in the name of beer is only the beginning
June 25, 2015
Although we know libations come first when Vancouverites hit their local watering hole, it’s particularly rewarding when interior design is as considered as the drinks. The Steel Toad Brewing Company hit it out of the park with their reno of the nearly century-old Opsal Steel building. The timber frame bones are front and centre throughout the spacious interior, making visitors reminisce about Vancouver of old while they sip. Here’s what do when you visit (other than look up).
1) Try the impressive and locally lauded selection brewed onsite (start with the saison and finish with the stout!). Then complement brew master Chris Charron, the mid-20s wunderkind who brings his tenure in Montreal and Northern England to the West Coast.
2) Eat! Steel Toad’s food program is aiming to be unrivaled in the city’s beer scene. Led by chef Robbie Robinson—ex West, Claridge’s in London, and the Vancouver Club—the 175-seat brew pub area and the 80-seat mezzanine are already buzzing.
3) Watch the big game. There’s only one screen, but it’s a 19-foot HD beast that makes it easy to keep up with the action. The experience combines sports bar accessibility with craft brewery attention to detail.
4) Try someone else’s best work. With bartenders crafting modern and classic cocktails, and one of the city’s largest and finest whiskey collections, it’s a liquid journey around the globe.
5) Stay for a live show. The open, visually aesthetic space leads your eye to a stage that frequently features local talent of all musical stripes.
Steel Toad Brewing
97 E 2nd Ave, Vancouver, BC