5 Cocktails to Serve at Your NYE Party
Cocktails before bubbly is twice as lovely.
December 29, 2016
It’s always fun to toast the New Year with a glass of champagne, but what about the preamble? Here are five festive cocktails to try from the city’s top bartenders (find more in our sister publication’s Recipe Finder).
The Slow Sipper
Oaxaca Old Fashioned
1½ oz El Tesoro Reposado tequila
½ oz Del Maguey San Luis Del Rio mezcal
1 tsp agave nectar
2 dashes angostura bitters
1 orange twist, for garnish
1. Stir all the ingredients over ice, then strain into a coupe.
2. To garnish, flame the orange twist over the drink, then drop it in.
By Shaun Layton, Juniper Kitchen & Bar
1½ oz Defender Island gin
1 bottle tonic (Fever-Tree Mediterranean)
Thyme, for garnish
Grapefruit, for garnish
Mix cocktail over ice and garnish with a sprig of thyme and a slice of grapefruit.
Ramos Gin Fizz
By Grant Sceney, Fairmont Pacific Rim
2 oz Tanqueray 10 gin
¾ oz lemon/lime juice (combined)
¾ oz simple syrup
½ oz cream
¾ egg white
2 dashes orange flower water
1. Combine all ingredients except soda water in a cocktail shaker (without ice)
2. Shake to emulsify the egg white.
3. Add ice and shake vigorously for an additional 2 minutes.
4. Strain into a chilled Collins glass. Top with soda.
The Lip Smacker
Horseradish Sour Cocktail
By Josh Pape, Wildebeest
2 oz London Dry Gin
1 oz lemon juice
½ oz runny honey
Dash egg white
1 barspoon of creamed horseradish
1. Pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
2. Shake well with lots of ice and fine strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
3. Garnish with cracked pepper along one edge.
By Robyn Gray, Reflections: The Garden Terrace
20 ml Woodford bourbon
20 ml Goslings rum
20 ml BrancaMenta
1. Pour bourbon, rum and menthe into a special coffee mug. Mix well.
2. Top with hot chocolate and whipped cream. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings.