Top 6 Canada Day Events
BBQ. Beach. Yoga. Repeat.
June 30, 2015
1. Get your grill on and head to Mamie Taylor’s x Re-up BBQ RibFest in Chinatown. Amateur BBQ fans will be firing up their grills at 4pm and duking it out for the DIY RibFest trophy. Order a $12 rib plate while you watch, and make sure to B.Y.O.H. (bring your own hand sanitizer). Mamie Taylor’s, 251 E. Georgia St, mamietaylors.ca
2. Canada, the land of the free. Make the most of your liberal rights at Wreck Beach on Wednesday for a day-long Beach Party alongside 12,000 other skin-lovers who checked-in on Facebook. No details posted yet (how mysterious), but the more the merrier, right? Wreck Beach, NW Marine Dr.
3. Take some time to appreciate the clean air as you ommm on Granville Island (take that, Burrard Bridge) with free outdoor yoga classes from Ocean Breath Yoga. Classes run at 11am, 1pm, 4, and 7 on the grassy area near Foreshore Walk. OM CANADA!, Granville Island, granvilleisland.com
4. Billed as “Canada’s Biggest Little Birthday Party”, the Steveston Salmon Festival is a delicious way to celebrate Canada’s 148th birthday. The all-day festivities include a pancake breakfast ($8), the requisite parade and activities, and, of course, the famous salmon barbecue with over 1200 pounds of wild salmon filets set to be grilled over open fire pits ($15 per plate). Steveston Salmon Festival, Steveston Village, stevestonsalmonfest.ca
5. FlyOver Canada hosts Vancouver’s ultimate Fireworks Party this July 1 at 8 pm. Enjoy the fireworks with summer beats by DJ Mike Circa, burgers, sweet, sweet poutine, and also cold refreshments (of the alcoholic-variety if you’re of age). While you are down there, take a ride on the famous 30-minute aerial adventure, but book online in advance to avoid disappointment. Fly Over Canada, Canada Place, flyovercanada.com
6. Keep it classy, Vancouver. Enjoy a free Canada Day Concert at Whistler courtesy of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. Expect Strauss’s The Beautiful Blue Danube and Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture among others. Concert starts at 3 pm, bring a chair or blanket as seating will not be provided. Whistler Olympic Plaza, Whistler, whistler.com